Latest World News
- July 23 2014 21:11: UN humanitarian chief calls for aid revamp - World News Headlines - Yahoo News
TOKYO (AP) — The U.N.'s top humanitarian official called Thursday for major changes in the delivery of relief, as funding falls short because of a growing number of conflicts and disasters.
Latest U.S. News
- July 23 2014 21:03: U.S. health insurers to pay $330 million in premium rebates - U.S. News Headlines - Yahoo! News
(Reuters) - U.S. health insurers will send out about $330 million in rebates to employers and individuals this summer under President Barack Obama's healthcare law, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said on Thursday. The law, often called Obamacare, requires insurance companies to refund customers when they spend less than 80 percent or 85 percent of healthcare premiums they collect for medical care. The rebates will go to about 6.8 million people and have a value of about $80 per family. They are to be sent by Aug. 1 either directly to consumers or to the employer providing the health coverage, who is required to pass the savings onto employees, the agency said in a report.
Latest Business News
- July 23 2014 21:12: China July HSBC flash PMI at 18-month high as stimulus spurs economy - Business News Headlines - Yahoo! News
China's factory activity expanded at its fastest pace in 18 months in July as new orders surged, a preliminary HSBC survey showed on Thursday, the latest indication that the economy is picking up as government stimulus measures kick in. "Economic activity continues to improve in July, suggesting that the cumulative impact of mini-stimulus measures introduced earlier is still filtering through," said Qu Hongbin, chief economist for China at HSBC. "We expect policy makers to maintain their accommodative stance over the next few months to consolidate the recovery." Mainland China stocks jumped after the PMI report while shares in the rest of Asia edged higher. The Australian dollar hit a three-week high on prospects of stronger exports to China.
Latest Tech News
- July 23 2014 20:56: Google Voice offers web-based calls through Hangouts, no G+ profile needed - Tech News Headlines - Yahoo News
Latest Entertainment News
- July 23 2014 19:12: Bing Crosby's kids recall dad's duet with Bowie - Entertainment News Headlines — Yahoo! News
Latest Sports News
- July 23 2014 21:04: Closing arguments scheduled in Sterling trust case - Sports News Headlines - Yahoo! News
Donald Sterling's lawyers opted not to call Shelly Sterling as a witness in their court fight to block her sale of the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers and abruptly rested their case. The move sets the stage for closing arguments on Monday in the case in which Donald Sterling is challenging his estranged wife's authority to sell the club for $2 billion to former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer. The final witness called on behalf of Donald Sterling was doctor Jeffrey Cummings, an expert in Alzheimer's disease who acknowledged under cross-examination by Shelly Sterling's lawyer Pierce O'Donnell that the two doctors who found the Clippers owner mentally incompetent did not have to state the reason for their examinations beforehand.
Latest Science News
- July 23 2014 16:51: Dogs are capable of feeling jealousy: U.S. study - Science News Headlines - Yahoo News
Dogs are capable of feeling a basic form of jealousy, according to a study published in the PLOS ONE scientific journal. The research, said to be the first experiment on canine jealousy, could redefine the view that the complex emotion of envy is a human construct, said Christine Harris, University of California, San Diego psychologist and an author of the study.
Latest Politics News
- July 23 2014 21:19: FAA lifts ban on US flights to Tel Aviv airport - Politics News Headlines - Yahoo News
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Federal Aviation Administration has lifted its ban on U.S. flights to Israel, which it had imposed out of concern over the risk of planes being hit by Hamas rockets.