Latest World News
- April 24 2014 05:15: Chemical weapons watchdog weighs chlorine attack probe: sources - World News Headlines - Yahoo News
By Anthony Deutsch AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The head of the global chemical weapons watchdog overseeing the destruction of Syria's toxic stockpile is considering launching a fact-finding mission there to investigate reports of attacks with chlorine gas, sources said. Syria became a member of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) last year as part of a deal with Russia and the United States to destroy its chemical weapons program. OPCW's head, Ahmet Uzumcu, has the authority to initiate an investigation into alleged use of chemical weapons in member states, including Syria, without the need to seek a formal request from a member state, sources told Reuters on Thursday.
Latest U.S. News
- April 24 2014 05:28: Man to be sentenced in retirement home deaths - U.S. News Headlines - Yahoo! News
DETROIT (AP) — A judge is expected to order life sentences for a 67-year-old man convicted of killing two women at a Detroit retirement home.
Latest Business News
- April 24 2014 05:36: U.S. jobless claims rise more than expected last week - Business News Headlines - Yahoo! News
The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits increased more than expected last week, but the rise probably does not suggest a shift in labor market conditions as the underlying trend continued to point to strength. Initial claims for state unemployment benefits rose 24,000 to a seasonally adjusted 329,000 for the week ended April 19, the Labor Department said on Thursday.
Latest Tech News
- April 24 2014 06:23: Strike Two: Obama's Second FCC Chair Fails on Net Neutrality - Tech News Headlines - Yahoo News
When President Barack Obama pledged to appoint a Federal Communications Commission chair who was dedicated to protecting Net Neutrality, we had no reason to doubt he'd find the right person for the job. Obama campaigned in 2008 as a strong champion of the open Internet, telling an audience that he'd "take a back seat to no one in my commitment to Net Neutrality." He said that his chair would share his views on safeguarding the open Internet.
Latest Entertainment News
- April 24 2014 05:37: Kate shows off new royal style in Down Under tour - Entertainment News Headlines — Yahoo! News
Latest Sports News
- April 24 2014 04:59: Teen Chinese golfer getting used to attention - Sports News Headlines - Yahoo! News
SHENZHEN, China (AP) — One year after his stunning debut at the Masters, Chinese 15-year-old golfer Guan Tianlang is growing accustomed to being in the spotlight.
Latest Science News
- April 24 2014 04:56: New Crustaceans Found Crawling on Dead Whale Bones Off Antarctica - Science News Headlines - Yahoo News
A new species of louselike crustacean has been discovered living on the bones of a dead whale at the bottom of the Southern Ocean around Antarctica. British researchers using a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) to explore the deep seafloor stumbled across the bare bones of a minke whale. The bones "were absolutely covered in these little critters — there were 500 to 6,000 specimens per square meter [11 square feet]," Katrin Linse, a researcher with the British Antarctic Survey who led the study, said in a statement. Scientists at the sea surface onboard the RRS James Cooksaw the bones and the critters via a live video feed from the ROV, and they used the ROV's robotic arm to grab some of the bones to bring up to the ship.
Latest Politics News
- April 24 2014 05:14: Obama rejects notion that trade deal is in danger - Politics News Headlines - Yahoo News
TOKYO (AP) — As negotiators struggle, President Barack Obama is rejecting suggestions that an Asia-Pacific trade deal is in danger and says the U.S. and Japan must take bold steps to overcome differences that are threatening completion of the cornerstone of his strategic rebalance to the region.