Latest World News
- March 27 2017 13:39: A model for anti-corruption Russians - Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
Of all the former states in the Soviet Union, according to a global ranking, Russia remains one of the most corrupt. What stirred the thinking of so many Russians to envision an honest and accountable government? While President Vladimir Putin remains popular, the focus of the protests was his prime minister and protégé, Dmitry Medvedev.
Latest U.S. News
- March 27 2017 22:09: Suspect arrested, accused of throwing 'biblical text' into mosque - Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
Investigators in Colorado arrested on Monday a man suspected of throwing a “biblical text” inside a mosque after smashing windows and a glass door of the Islamic center and overturning furniture inside, police said. Joseph Giaquinto, 35, was taken into custody and accused of criminal mischief, trespassing and a bias-motivated crime at the Fort Collins Islamic Center on Sunday, the Fort Collins Police Department said in a statement.
Latest Business News
- January 10 2017 08:46: L.L. Bean rebuffs boycott over granddaughter’s big Trump donation - Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
A man wipes off the headlights of the L.L. Bean Bootmobile in the parking lot at the facility where the famous outdoor boot is made. L.L. Bean is pushing back against a boycott led by a group urging consumers not to shop at retailers that support President-elect Donald Trump after it was revealed that Linda Bean, heir of the Maine-based company’s founder, had donated to a political action committee that helped elect Trump. “We are deeply troubled by the portrayal of L.L. Bean as a supporter of any political agenda,” Shawn Gorman, L.L. Bean’s executive chairman, said in a statement posted to Facebook late Sunday.
Latest Tech News
- March 27 2017 01:55: Lyft wants to help you donate to charity with every ride - Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
A small cash donation can go a long way, especially if you multiply it by millions. Lyft is launching a new scheme for riders that'll automatically round up the fare to the nearest dollar and donate the difference to charity.
Latest Entertainment News
- January 5 2016 11:30: Why Are We So Addicted to Mysteries Like ‘Making a Murderer?’ - Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
Latest Sports News
- August 1 2016 06:45: Water pollution in Rio ahead of the Olympic Games - Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
Just days ahead of the Olympic Games the waterways of Rio de Janeiro are as filthy as ever, contaminated with raw human sewage teeming with dangerous viruses and bacteria, according to a 16-month-long study commissioned by The Associated Press. The AP’s survey of the aquatic Olympic and Paralympic venues has revealed consistent and dangerously high levels of viruses from the pollution, a major black eye on Rio’s Olympic project that has set off alarm bells among sailors, rowers and open-water swimmers.
Latest Science News
- March 27 2017 22:04: The DNA of oil wells - U.S. shale enlists genetics to boost output - Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
A small group of U.S. oil producers has been trying to exploit advances in DNA science to wring more crude from shale rock, as the domestic energy industry keeps pushing relentlessly to cut costs and compete with the world's top exporters. Shale producers have slashed production costs as much as 50 percent over two years, waging a price war with the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). Now, U.S. shale producers can compete in a $50-per-barrel oil (CLc1) market, and about a dozen shale companies are seeking to cut costs further by analysing DNA samples extracted from oil wells to identify promising spots to drill.
Latest Politics News
- March 27 2017 18:34: Justice Department warns of a crackdown on ‘sanctuary’ policies - Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
Attorney General Jeff Sessions reinforced President Trump’s call for an end to so-called “sanctuary” policies Monday, urging state and local law enforcement agencies to comply with federal immigration laws or risk losing Justice Department grants. “[I] strongly urge our nation’s cities, states and counties to consider carefully the harm they are doing to their citizens by refusing to enforce our immigration laws, and to rethink such policies,” Sessions told reporters during a surprise appearance at the daily White House press briefing. Following last week’s release of the first installment of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s controversial new “Declined Detainer Outcome Report,” Sessions’ statement seems likely to further elevate tensions between the federal government and local law enforcement agencies over immigration enforcement.